Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Distance - guilt in sport reporting

How do you compare different sports players when at the back of your mind you know they are real people? Something in your conscience tells you you are doing something wrong when you compare people's strengths and flaws against each other in such an open public sphere.

I did this in my last blog post. I compared the South African test openers to the Pakistani test openers. I felt guilty about comparing people, about saying some people are better than others for this and this reason. It is because I know they are real people. I don't think I would like someone comparing my abilities with someone else's when I am under such pressure to perform for millions of people, my country's pride, my team and my captain.


Under the skin of the player is the heart of a person. A real person. I just thought I'd share this. It is something I will probably struggle with as a journalist one day. Even though many believe journalists are merely supposed to bring attention to things, raise concerns, and not give their own opinions; just by reporting on certain chosen issues and obeying your boss's orders you may be bending the public's viewpoints on real people who deserve respect. 


How can I keep a distance between my freedom and desire to write, and the people I am writing about?



Not bowling a maiden over: Graeme Swann leaves court yesterday
England's Graeme Swann (33) is currently 7th in the world in test bowlers according to the ICC player rankings. Doesn't he look pretty normal in this photo? Picture taken from http://www.mirror.co.uk


What I hope to avoid. Picture taken from http://www.funnyjunk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment