Thursday, 29 November 2012

Hero

iol spt nov28 Fafster Du Plessis
Faf Duplessis (28 years old). Picture taken from IOL sport

I have to eat my words.

In my last post I said that Dean Elgar or David Miller should replace JP Duminy ahead of Faf du Plessis in the second test match between Australia and South Africa. Not that Elgar is a lesser batsman, but du Plessis was selected, and ended up playing two brilliant innings. The second innings was nothing short of heroic.

He made 78 (159) and 110* (376) saving the test match and proving his mettle. His second innings reminded me of one Neil McKenzie played against England at Lords when he scored 138 off 446 balls to help SA to a draw after finding themselves in an incredibly poor position.

Like I did with AB de Villiers and Graeme Smith, I wrote du Plessis off after a few international shortcomings, only to be proven immensely wrong of the existence of tremendous batting talent and ability. I hope he is selected again in future test matches and ODIs.

No comments:

Post a Comment