Thursday, 08 September 2011

Honouring Graeme Smith


Thumbs up by the man
http://crictamil.blogspot.com/

One cannot discuss the Proteas without mentioning the test captain. Although Smith is injury prone and his failings often lead to failings on a team level, I still regard him as an excellent captain and one of my favourite opening batsmen in the world.

Of course I am biased in my view but what can I say, he's cool. Who will ever forget him coming out to bat against Australia in 2008 with a broken hand, trying to save a test that didn't quite matter? He became the youngest South African captain at the age of 22. He's led us to many victories over the years including number one rankings in tests and ODIs. But of course, we are still yet to win a World Cup.

He was succeeded as captain of ODIs and T20s by AB de Villiers. I personally feel this is a good idea as it will give AB a chance to hone his skills as a captain, and allow Smith to concentrate more on his batting. Smith is still captain of our test team and I'm sure his experience will rub off on AB in the future.

According to Thinkexist.com Smith once said, "People want a say in who leads them." So please comment and tell me what you think of Smith as test captain. Should he be captain? Or should he be de-throned?

Graeme Smith's wedding with Morgan Deane in August this year
www.sport24.co.za/Galleries/Image/Cricket

http://blog.standardbankcricket.com/standard-bank-cricket/2010/08/standard-bank-wishes-thank-graeme-smith This is Standard Bank's blog. here they show their appreciation for his work over the years as T20 captain. I like what they say.

http://graemesmith.co.za/  This is Smith's official blog. It's quite out-dated but if you haven't seen it before it's really interesting.

© Nicholas Zaal  8 September 2011

4 comments:

  1. Graham Smith is either loved or hated by SA cricket fans. But there is no doubt that he has done well as the captain of the SA Cricket Team. Nice post, Nic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.

    He's certainly my favourite captain in the world. Although I often don't agree with the changes he sometimes makes to bowling attacks. But in the end he has brought us far more wins than loses and that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know anything about cricket, but I like him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is the one man army for South Africa team, great batsman and best captain. Try PrimeCaptain fantasy cricket app. PrimeCaptain is a new and leading fantasy cricket app, where you can earn more cash in less entry fees. Its referral system is unique. Here you can refer your friends & earn on every cash deposit by them. You can withdraw your referral bonus. I ever use the PRIMECAPTAIN fantasy cricket app and earn money from it.

    ReplyDelete